I was first introduced to midwifery in 1977. As the young mother of a beautiful daughter, expecting my second child, I met the Austin Lay Midwives. I began my path to midwifery as an apprentice and a student. My home birth experience changed my life. I gained an understanding of the power of birth and my self-confidence as a mother and a woman soared.
I continued my midwifery education and in 1986 became the 89th midwife licensed in Arizona. There I began my own home birth practice. While practicing as a home birth midwife I was the medical director for a emergency medical service for a rural community in northern Arizona. I spent 4 years at the Payson Regional Medical Center’s Family Birthing Center as a doula, educating and supporting women through labor, birth, and the immediate postpartum period. I moved back to Texas in 2005 and became licensed here in 2006.
I have attended approximately 1,800 births since 1977, most of which took place in a home setting. Others were in a hospital or birthing center. I was the primary midwife for most of these births and performed an assisting role in others. I have participated in all aspects of the childbearing cycle, prenatal care, labor, birth, and postpartum care. Today, I enjoy being with women both at home and at the hospital. I love to interact with the family, as they get to know their newborn, with guidance about postpartum care, newborn care, and breastfeeding.
I am the mother of 7 children, ranging in age from 22 to 40. I am also a grandmother of 12. I brought my family back to Austin where my midwifery career first began. My life has now come full circle.
Each of my children were breastfed for an extended period of time. I have had 4 home births and 3 hospital deliveries, including a c-section. I have experienced natural unmedicated birth as well as childbirth with an epidural. When we talk about your birthing options, I speak from experience.
- Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) North American Registry of Midwives (NARM 2006)
- Licensed Midwife (LM) Texas State Department of Health Services 2006
- Licensed Midwife Arizona Department of Health Services 1986-2007
- University of Maryland, Prince Georges Community College, National Naval Medical Center, Eastern Arizona Community College, Eastern Arizona Community College: Emergency Medical Technician and pre-nursing studies
- Apprenticeship: Austin Lay Midwives & New Life Birth Service 1977-1984
- Breastfeeding Educator Texas Department of Health 2009
- Current Infant and Adult CPR and Neonatal Resuscitation